2-Diameter Sizing Die for 357 Magnum

mtngun
Site Admin

2-Diameter Sizing Die for 357 Magnum

Postby mtngun » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:47 pm

I've always used Redding 357 Maxi dies for all my 357 Mag & Maxi loads (I shortened the maxi seating die so that it would work with magnum cases).

The Redding sizing die is on the tight side, squeezing the case down to 0.3725" or so. That's great for the neck, because it grips the bullet tightly. But for the rest of the case it's way overkill, working the brass more than necessary.

One solution is to partial size cases. But when I've tried, cartridges were occasionally difficult to chamber. :evil:

So ..... I made a homemade sizing die that still sizes the neck to 0.3725", but the lower half of the case is only sized to 0.378".
Does it shoot any better? No. But it seems like the cases don't have to be trimmed as frequently as they used to.

Of course the homemade die is not carbide, so cases have to be lubed, but that's no big deal. I use hand lotion as a lubricant -- just squirt a dab on the reloading bench, dip my finger in it, and rub my finger on the case neck as I pick up each case. The hand lotion dries quickly so it doesn't need to be cleaned off the case, and if you get it on your hands, well it just makes your hands feel better. :lol:

mtngun
Site Admin

Re: 2-Diameter Sizing Die for 357 Magnum

Postby mtngun » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:44 am

About the same time that I made my 2-diameter sizing dies, Redding introduced its "dual ring" sizing dies that do the same thing, only with carbide. I had not heard of the Redding "dual ring" dies until someone pointed them out to me just now.

I still use the homemade 2-diameter sizing die. I don't claim any accuracy improvement, but cases chamber effortlessly -- unlike partially sized cases -- and rarely need to be trimmed.

Bob

Re: 2-Diameter Sizing Die for 357 Magnum

Postby Bob » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:40 pm

I really want one of the Redding dies, probably one for 44 magnum, and one for 357 magnum. However I am a bit to frugal, and will probably end up talking myself out of this idea. Steel revolver cartridge sizing dies used to be tapered in the olden days, the neck was slightly tighter than the base. I'd need to lube the cases, but those dual diameter sizing dies are expensive!

Return to “equipment”