Bullet nose profile for handguns

Bob

Bullet nose profile for handguns

Postby Bob » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:02 pm

Hi Dan,
I found a bullet cast from one of my older Mountain Molds that I bought used. It is a 180 gr GC design, with what appears to be a truncated cone nose, with a slight concave in the meplat. I'm thinking I want to recreate this mould, but I hear varying opinions on truncated cone noses in some hunting applications. Would you recommend going with a truncated cone flat nose design for hunting, but also for long range target work? My mould was for a 44 magnum, and I never got a chance to wring it out very well before life got difficult (again) for a while, and I had to sell a few guns, including the Redhawk I bought the mould for. Then I also sold that original mould. If not a truncated cone design, what would you suggest I look at instead?

mtngun
Site Admin

Re: Bullet nose profile for handguns

Postby mtngun » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:09 pm

I'm not sure that it matters much. I've had good luck with TCs, but also with secants and tangents.

For long range target work you might want to avoid a big meplat, but even that is not 100% predictable as so much varies from bullet to bullet and load to load.

One of the goals of my S&W revolver project is to test many different bullet designs. I had been using a snub nose for bullet testing but a snub nose is hardly the definitive test for accuracy. :lol:

Bob

Postby Bob » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:34 pm

I went to your design program with my sole, surviving bullet from this mould and it appears it was a 285(ish) grain GC bullet with a secant nose profile. I always though it was a TC. It does have a slight concave in the nose, which I've never seen in a mould before. The nose is around 70%(ish). I think I'd probably like it better as a 300 gr. Does this combination sound viable to you Dan?

mtngun
Site Admin

Postby mtngun » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:38 pm

Sounds reasonable to me, Bob.

Return to “design & sizing”