I keep getting an inside-out bullet with the design program

DoubleJ

I keep getting an inside-out bullet with the design program

Post by DoubleJ » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:13 am

I'm attempting a powder coated and gas checked boolit for my .458 SOCOM with no crimp groove or lube grooves. It's basically a copy of the Hornady 325 FTX in all dimensions except for the cannulure, poly tip, and base. Everything is fine until I choose 'no crimp groove' At that point, I get lube grooves that I can't get rid of, and if I try to put in the correct numbers on the bottom, I end up with a picture of the boolit that is inside out.

Can I just put 'no crimp groove' in the comments?

Who's checks should I use a shank for? The platform is an AR-15.

mtngun
Site Admin

Re: I keep getting an inside-out bullet with the design program

Post by mtngun » Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:58 am

The bottom half of the program is output-only.

There is no option for smooth bullets. They serve no purpose.

DoubleJ

Post by DoubleJ » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:23 pm

Bullets with no lube or crimp grooves are getting fairly common for powder coaters. The grooves serve no purpose to us, we don't use them.

I really just need a 350gr gas checked TC boolit that will feed in an AR. If I just use whatever the program's defaults are and make a few slight tweaks dimensionally, should I be ok?

Also curious about the different types of GC shanks available, what are the benefits of each?

mtngun
Site Admin

Post by mtngun » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:10 am

A smooth option has been added to the design program, as long as the bullet has a crimp -- and I can eliminate the crimp if you include a note.

For 45 caliber you have the Hornady 45 pistol check, which contrary to what Hornady claims was designed for the .452 pistol not a .460 rifle, and does not crimp on in a 0.460" - 0.462" die, but nonetheless works satisfactorily most of the time.

The 458 Gator check does crimp on in a 0.460" - 0.462" die, but prefers a slightly fatter shank. In practice, either check may be used on either shank but one may fit better than the other due to as-cast shank tolerances.

Then their is a choice between a straight shank and a stepped shank. The step gives the check something to hold onto at the reloading bench. Once the check is crimped, it does not make any difference.

DoubleJ

Post by DoubleJ » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:52 pm

Very good info, thank you