[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
Borescopes - Page 2 - Mountain Molds

Borescopes

jbquack1

Re: Borescopes

Postby jbquack1 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:05 pm

I bought a borescope for work. A couple years later, they came out with a 5 millimeter head, it has a right angle attachment and works well, beats paying the "gunsmith" price for a pro grade borescope, I am not a pro, I just want to see whats happening.

mtngun
Site Admin

Postby mtngun » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:04 pm

As I posted on , my Lyman BoreCam is not aging well, with the image getting increasingly dim and splotchy as shown below. There may be some damage to its mirror. Bummer, because it worked satisfactorily when it was new. :cry:

So I am falling back on my used $60 Russian borescope. Its optics are not in the same league as a Hawkeye, but they get the job done. Today I experimented with holding a point & shoot camera up to the eyepiece to take a picture. Results were mixed, but about half the images were usable. Here is an example from a Remmy take-off barrel.

I can live with that. It's awkward to use, seemingly requiring 3 or 4 hands, and it is limited to 30 caliber and up, but it's better than nothing.

mtngun
Site Admin

Postby mtngun » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:50 pm

A Hart 6-groove 30 caliber stainless barrel (it was on sale! :lol: ).

Taken with a camera through my Russian borescope, and as usual the horizontal lines are optical diffraction from the borescope that is amplified by the camera. The horizontal lines are barely visible when looking through the scope with your eyeball.

The bore looks good, typical for a lapped button rifled barrel. No imperfections, but not quite as beautiful as a cut-rifled barrel.

mtngun
Site Admin

Postby mtngun » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:43 am

Re: the damaged mirror on my Lyman borescope.

It was out of warranty, so I contacted Lyman customer service and asked if I could buy a new tip (the tip of the wand that holds the mirror appears to be detachable). They replied that they would send me a new wand, at no charge, even though it was out of warranty.

It took a while, but the replacement want finally showed up. I believe the original mirror was damaged by using lots of force to clean the mirror with the supplied q-tips (force is required to squeeze the q-tip into the tiny space) so I'll need to figure out a gentle way to clean the mirror.

Return to “General”