FAQs

mtngun
Site Admin

FAQs

Postby mtngun » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:08 pm

How long is your lead time?   The current lead time is always posted on the home page.

Phone number?   Sorry, there is no phone.

What is your specialty?   I'm glad you asked! :) Mountain Molds specializes in semi-custom molds for smokeless revolvers, lever actions, and high velocity rifle.

Will you design a bullet for me ?   No, but if you want to mail a chamber impression I will gladly measure it and let you know the results.

Will you copy a bullet if I send you a sample?   If it is something that can be created with the design program.

Will you make a bullet with extra deep grease grooves?  No, lathe boring is poorly suited to cutting deep grooves.

Can you cut a spitzer?   I hope to introduce a few spitzer target bullets sometime in 2016. They will be standard designs.

Can you make smooth bullets for paper patching?  I'm afraid the online design program was not set up to cut smooth bullets. In any event, any bullet can be paper patched providing it is the correct diameter. Colonel Harrison claimed that grooved paperpatch bullets were more accurate than smooth paperpatch bullets.

Will you cut other brands of blocks?   No.

Can you cut a custom design?  Sorry, if it cannot be created with the online design program, then I cannot do it.

Can you make a hollow base or hollow point?   No.

Can you make a nose pour mold?  No.

Can you make a 12 gauge mold? No, there's not enough space between the handles.

Why doesn't the design program let me specify a black powder alloy? Because I made a decision not to make black powder molds for both business reasons and for health reasons. The fumes from black powder alloys make me ill.

Do you make molds for air rifles? No, Mountain Molds specializes in semi-custom molds for revolvers, lever actions, and high velocity.

What's the deal with bore riding bullets? My bore riding option was intended for lever action bullets that require a stepped nose, or for revolver bullets where an oversize bore rider is sometimes useful.   I am not a fan of the traditional long bore riding nose for bolt actions and single shots.

Will you cut two designs in the same block ?   No

What about round ball molds?   No, Mountain Molds specializes in semi-custom molds for revolvers, lever actions, and high velocity.

Are handles included?   No.  Blocks take either the Lee 6-cavity handles or RCBS handles.  Current production Lyman/Saeco (same thing) handles can be modified to fit.

Do you make 4 or 6 cavity molds  No.   Lathe boring is a very slow and unreliable way to cut cavities, best suited to 1 or 2 cavity molds.

45longcolt

Re: FAQs

Postby 45longcolt » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:50 am

When having a mold designed what is meant by hornady gator? is this for gas checks?
Thanks
James

mtngun
Site Admin

Postby mtngun » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:36 am

"Hornady-Gator" refers to Hornady or Gator gas checks.

walstr

Photo file size for posts?

Postby walstr » Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:16 pm

What file size shall I 'downsize' my photo's to post into a forum? thanks.

Wally

mtngun
Site Admin

Postby mtngun » Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:22 pm

I recommend 800 pixels wide. If you are using the forum's "attachment" function to upload a photo, the maximum size is 120kb. If you are linking to a photobucket photo then I don't think the file size matters, only the pixel size.

Return to “alloys”