Page 1 of 1

Mold or Mould ?

Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:41 pm
by mtngun
MOULD comes from England, like COLOUR instead of COLOR, FAVOURITE instead of FAVORITE, and HONOUR instead of HONOR. MOULD is traditional and since most shooters are traditionalists, it is the more common spelling in the shooting world.

MOLD is the correct American spelling and the more common spelling when talking about molding anything other than bullets. For example, a google for "plastic MOLD" turned up 165,000 results vs. 136,000 results for "plastic MOULD" (mostly from Asia). "MOLD maker" turned up 77,900 results vs. 33,400 for "MOULD maker."

The American plastic industry uses MOLD almost exclusively. The plastics trade magazine that I receive never uses MOULD.

The Random House dictionary confirms that MOLD is the correct spelling and that MOULD is British.

Since I am American and not English, and I am modern and not a traditionalist, I prefer MOLD.

Re: Mold or Mould ?

Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:23 am
by Glen
Lyman is American too, and they have always spelled it "mould"... ;-)


Re: Mold or Mould ?

Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:25 am
by pincplastic
Yes the American plastic industry commonly uses "MOLD".

Plastic training

Re: Mold or Mould ?

Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:43 pm
by Creeker
I like mould.

Re: Mold or Mould ?

Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:55 pm
by Dr Sam
I am a clinical microbiologist. A mound is the green fuzzy thing that grows on stale pies, cake, and bread. Sometimes on toenails and skin. A mold is something to form a shape.

Re: Mold or Mould ?

Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:57 pm
by Dr Sam
Sorry: mould

Re: Mold or Mould ?

Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:03 am
by mtngun

The fact that many in the bullet casting community are still spelling "mold" like it's the year 1775 is a sad reflection on the bullet casting community.