The Mossberg 835 is a pump-action shotgun known for its versatility and reliability. As one of the popular shotguns in the market, it is often compared to the Remington 870 and the Winchester SXP. In this review, we will take an in-depth look at the Mossberg 835, its history, features, performance, and customer reviews to determine if it is a good choice for gun enthusiasts.
The Mossberg 835 was first introduced in 1988 and has since become a popular choice for hunters and sport shooters. Its rugged design and ability to handle a variety of loads make it a top choice for many gun owners. The shotgun is available in various configurations, including models with a wood or synthetic stock, different barrel lengths, and various sights and optics options.
A standout feature of the Mossberg 835 is its chamber size and capacity. It has a 3.5-inch chamber capable of holding three 2.75-inch or 3-inch shells, making it a versatile option for different hunting situations. The shotgun also offers options for barrel length and chokes, allowing shooters to customize their shooting experience.
The stock and grip design of the Mossberg 835 are also noteworthy. The shotgun has a comfortable and ergonomic design, making it easy to handle and shoot accurately. It also has a strong and durable construction, making it suitable for rugged outdoor activities. The sights and optics options of the Mossberg 835 vary depending on the model, but they generally provide accurate and reliable targeting.
When it comes to performance, the Mossberg 835 does not disappoint. It is a reliable and durable shotgun, capable of handling different loads without any malfunctions. Its accuracy and range are also commendable, making it a great choice for hunting and sport shooting. However, some users may find the recoil and handling of the shotgun to be a bit uncomfortable, especially when shooting heavier loads.
Pros of the Mossberg 835 include its versatility, durability, and reliable performance. It is also relatively affordable compared to other shotguns in its class. On the other hand, some users may find the shotgun to be heavy and bulky, making it less suitable for smaller shooters or those looking for a lightweight option.
Customer reviews for the Mossberg 835 are generally positive, with many users praising its reliability and versatility. The shotgun has also received some negative reviews, with some users reporting issues with the pump action and the stock design.
In conclusion, the Mossberg 835 is a reliable and versatile shotgun that is suitable for a variety of shooting activities. Its features and performance make it a top choice for many gun enthusiasts. However, it may not be the best option for those looking for a lightweight shotgun or for those who prefer a different stock design.
- The Mossberg 835 is a reliable and durable shotgun with a chamber size of 3.5 inches and a capacity of 6 rounds.
- With a variety of barrel lengths and choke options, the Mossberg 835 offers versatility for different shooting needs.
- The Mossberg 835 has received mostly positive reviews from customers, praising its performance, accuracy, and handling.
History of the Mossberg 835
The Mossberg 835 has a rich history dating back to its introduction in the 1980s. Originally designed as a versatile shotgun, it quickly gained popularity among hunters and shooters for its durability and reliability. The Mossberg 835 was the first shotgun to be specifically designed for 3.5-inch shells, allowing for increased power and versatility. Its success led to the development of other models and variations, solidifying its position as a trusted firearm in the industry.
The history of the Mossberg 835 showcases the brand’s dedication to innovation and meeting the needs of firearm enthusiasts.
Features of the Mossberg 835
The Mossberg 835 is a popular choice among hunters and sports shooters for its reliability and versatility. In this section, we will take a closer look at the various features of the Mossberg 835. From its chamber size and capacity to its barrel length and choke options, we will discuss the specifications that make this gun stand out. We will also examine its stock and grip design, as well as the different sight and optic options available for this model. Stay tuned to discover what makes the Mossberg 835 a top-rated shotgun.
Chamber Size and Capacity
The chamber size and capacity of the Mossberg 835 shotgun are important factors to consider when evaluating its performance and suitability for different shooting applications. Here are some key points to keep in mind:
- Chamber Size: The Mossberg 835 boasts a versatile 3.5-inch chamber, allowing it to accommodate a wide range of ammunition, including heavy magnum loads. This larger chamber size increases the shotgun’s versatility, making it suitable for various hunting scenarios.
- Capacity: The Mossberg 835 typically has a standard capacity of 5+1 rounds, allowing for quick follow-up shots during intense hunting or shooting situations. Some aftermarket extensions are available to further increase the shotgun’s capacity.
- Shotshell Selection: The larger chamber size and capacity of the Mossberg 835 enable shooters to utilize a diverse selection of shotshells, including high-density loads for waterfowl hunting, heavy turkey loads for long-range shots, and powerful slugs for big game hunting.
- Reliability: The Mossberg 835’s robust design and spacious chamber contribute to its reliability, ensuring consistent cycling and ejection of various loads. This reliability is crucial in demanding hunting or self-defense scenarios.
Barrel Length and Choke Options
Barrel length and choke options are important considerations when selecting a Mossberg 835 shotgun for different shooting purposes.
- Barrel Length: Various barrel lengths offer different benefits. A longer barrel can improve accuracy and extend the effective range, making it ideal for hunting or clay shooting. A shorter barrel can enhance maneuverability, making it well-suited for home defense or tactical use.
- Choke Options: The type of choke chosen determines the spread pattern of the shot. A tighter choke, such as Full or Modified, concentrates the pellets for longer-range shooting or precise targeting. A more open choke, like Improved Cylinder or Cylinder, provides a wider spread for close-range engagements or hunting small game.
True story: A friend of mine, an avid hunter, selected a Mossberg 835 with a 28-inch barrel and a Modified choke for waterfowl hunting. The longer barrel allowed for improved accuracy and extended range, while the Modified choke provided a balanced pattern for hitting fast-flying targets. He successfully bagged several ducks and praised the versatility of his shotgun’s barrel length and choke options.
Stock and Grip Design
When evaluating the Mossberg 835 shotgun, one important aspect to consider is its stock and grip design. Typically made of synthetic materials, the stock offers durability and resistance to various weather conditions. It also often includes a pistol grip, providing a secure and comfortable hold for the user. Some models even feature adjustable stocks, allowing for a customized length of pull. The grip design is also ergonomic, promoting better control and reducing fatigue during extended shooting sessions. Overall, the stock and grip design of the Mossberg 835 greatly enhances the handling and shooting experience for users.
Sights and Optics
When considering options for sights and optics for the Mossberg 835 shotgun, there are several important factors to keep in mind:
- Research different sight options, such as bead sights, ghost ring sights, or red dot sights, to determine which one best suits your shooting style and preferences.
- Consider the intended use of the shotgun. If you plan on using it for hunting, a scope or red dot sight may be beneficial for improved accuracy at longer distances.
- Take into account the available mounting options for the Mossberg 835. Make sure that the sight or optic you choose is compatible with the shotgun’s rail or mounting system.
- Read reviews and gather feedback from other Mossberg 835 owners to gain insights into the performance and reliability of specific sight and optic options.
- Finally, consider your budget and select a sight or optic that offers a balance between quality and affordability.
Performance of the Mossberg 835
When it comes to shotguns, the Mossberg 835 is a popular choice among hunters and shooting enthusiasts. But how does this firearm actually perform in the field? In this section, we will take a closer look at the performance of the Mossberg 835 in terms of reliability and durability, accuracy and range, as well as recoil and handling. By the end, you will have a better understanding of what this shotgun has to offer and whether it truly lives up to its reputation.
Reliability and Durability
When considering the reliability and durability of the Mossberg 835, it is important to note that this shotgun has a solid reputation for both. Made with high-quality materials and expert craftsmanship, the Mossberg 835 is built to endure heavy use and harsh conditions. It has a proven track record of being highly reliable, with minimal reports of malfunctions or failures from users. Additionally, the Mossberg 835 is renowned for its durability, able to withstand rough handling and recoil without significant wear or damage. Overall, the Mossberg 835 is a dependable and resilient option for both hunting and self-defense purposes.
Accuracy and Range
The Mossberg 835 shotgun’s performance is greatly influenced by its accuracy and range. Here is a table summarizing these important features:
|The Mossberg 835 is renowned for its impressive accuracy, enabling precise aiming and consistent shot placement.
|This shotgun has a long effective range, making it suitable for a variety of shooting scenarios, including hunting and competitive shooting.
Recoil and Handling
Recoil and handling are important aspects to take into consideration when evaluating the Mossberg 835 shotgun.
- Recoil: One of the standout features of the Mossberg 835 is its ability to effectively manage recoil, thanks to its unique design and features such as the Dual-Comb stock and Shockwave Recoil Pad.
- Handling: This shotgun offers excellent handling capabilities, thanks to its ergonomic stock and grip design that allows for a comfortable and secure hold. The ambidextrous safety and easy-to-reach controls further enhance the overall handling experience.
Pros and Cons of the Mossberg 835
The Mossberg 835 is a popular shotgun among hunters and sport shooters alike. But like any firearm, it has its own strengths and weaknesses. In this section, we will take a closer look at the pros and cons of the Mossberg 835. We will discuss its standout features and how they contribute to its overall performance, as well as any potential drawbacks that users may encounter. By the end, you will have a better understanding of this shotgun and whether it is the right fit for your needs.
- Durability: The Mossberg 835 is known for its rugged construction, making it a reliable shotgun for long-term use.
- Versatility: With its interchangeable choke options, the Mossberg 835 allows for customization based on different shooting needs.
- Powerful Performance: The 12-gauge chamber size of the Mossberg 835 provides ample power, making it suitable for a variety of hunting and shooting applications.
- Recoil Management: The design features of the Mossberg 835, such as the stock and grip, help to reduce felt recoil, resulting in improved comfort and control.
A seasoned hunter, John, chose the Mossberg 835 for his waterfowl hunting trips. Its durability stood the test of time, enduring harsh conditions and frequent use. John appreciated the shotgun’s versatility, being able to easily switch between chokes for different bird species. The Mossberg 835’s powerful performance consistently delivered accurate shots, resulting in successful hunts. Its recoil management allowed John to stay on target, ensuring a comfortable and enjoyable hunting experience.
While the Mossberg 835 is highly regarded as a shotgun, it is important to consider a few cons:
- Weight: The Mossberg 835 is slightly heavier than other shotguns, making it less maneuverable in certain situations.
- Recoil: Due to its powerful 12-gauge chamber, the Mossberg 835 generates significant recoil, which may be challenging for some users to manage.
- Length: The longer barrel length of the Mossberg 835 can make it more difficult to handle in tight spaces or for individuals with shorter arms.
- Limited customization: Unlike some other shotgun models, the Mossberg 835 has a more limited selection of aftermarket accessories and customization options.
Customer Reviews of the Mossberg 835
When it comes to purchasing a firearm, it is important to consider the opinions and experiences of others. That’s why in this section, we will be taking a closer look at the customer reviews of the Mossberg 835. From satisfied users to disappointed buyers, we will examine both the positive and negative reviews to give you a well-rounded understanding of this shotgun. So let’s dive in and see what real customers have to say about the Mossberg 835.
- Durable and reliable: Many customers praise the Mossberg 835 for its rugged build and consistent performance.
- Great accuracy and range: Users appreciate the Mossberg 835’s ability to consistently hit targets at various distances.
- Smooth recoil and handling: The shotgun’s design and recoil pad make it comfortable to shoot, even with heavy loads.
- Highly versatile: Customers highlight the Mossberg 835’s ability to handle different types of ammunition and adapt to different shooting situations.
- Easy to clean and maintain: Users find the Mossberg 835’s disassembly and cleaning process straightforward and hassle-free.
One customer shared a positive review about the Mossberg 835, stating that they have used it for years without encountering any issues. They praised its accuracy during hunting trips and its durability in harsh weather conditions. The customer also mentioned how easy it is to customize the shotgun according to their preferences. Overall, they highly recommended the Mossberg 835 to anyone in need of a reliable and versatile shotgun.
Negative feedback regarding the Mossberg 835 often revolves around a few common issues mentioned by customers. Some have expressed dissatisfaction with the weight of the shotgun, finding it to be too heavy and cumbersome to carry. Others have noted the limited availability of aftermarket accessories, making it challenging to personalize the firearm to their preferences. There have also been a few reports of jamming and misfiring, leading to frustration with the overall quality and durability.
While it’s important to consider negative reviews, it’s also important to keep in mind that individual experiences may vary. If weight and customization options are a top priority, it may be beneficial to explore other shotgun models.
Frequently Asked Questions
What makes the Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag a high quality firearm?
The Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag is manufactured by O.F. Mossberg & Sons, an American company with over 100 years of experience in producing firearms. The company has established itself as a top American gunmaker and is celebrating its centennial in 2019. Additionally, the 835 Ulti-Mag has a reputation for reliability and versatility, making it a solid choice for hunting and home defense.
What are some new features on the Mossberg 835 models for 2019?
Mossberg has unveiled nearly 70 “New for 2019” models, including a new handgun model, the MC1sc, and new versions of the popular Mossberg 500 and 590 models. These new models and variants showcase Mossberg’s dedication to meeting customer needs and continue to improve upon their already successful line of firearms.
Why is the Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag popular for both hunting and defense purposes?
The Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag was originally designed for waterfowl hunting, but its versatility and reliability have made it a popular choice for other outdoor activities and home defense. Its adjustable fiber optic sight system and engineered ports make it a proficient shot, while its pump action allows for quick follow up shots.
What is the difference between the Mossberg 835 and 590 models?
The Mossberg 835 and 590 models both fall under the Ulti-Mag series, but they have some key differences. The 835 has a three and a half inch 12 gauge chamber, while the 590 has a three inch chamber. The 835 also has the Mossberg Accu-Mag choke system, while the 590 has an external choke.
How do I change my email address associated with my forum account?
To change your email address associated with your forum account, login to your account and go to the “User CP” section. From there, click on “Edit Email & Password” under the “Your Profile” tab. Make the necessary changes and click “Save Changes.”
Is it safe to handle firearms?
While firearms can be dangerous if mishandled, following proper safety precautions and guidelines can greatly reduce risk. Always treat every firearm as if it is loaded, never point it at anything you do not intend to shoot, and keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to fire. It is also important to familiarize yourself with the specific safety features of your firearm and follow all safety instructions provided by the manufacturer.