The Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Mag is a popular and powerful single-action revolver manufactured by Sturm, Ruger & Co. It was first introduced in 1959 as a larger and more powerful version of the original Blackhawk model. Since then, it has gained a reputation for its durability, accuracy, and power, making it a favorite among gun enthusiasts and hunters.
This article will provide a comprehensive review of the Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Mag, including its features, performance, pros and cons, and a comparison to other .44 Mag revolvers.
The Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Mag features a stainless steel construction with a satin finish, giving it a sleek and modern look. It also has a traditional western-style grip and a 6-round cylinder capacity. Some notable features of this revolver include:
- Barrel Length and Weight: The Super Blackhawk .44 Mag is available in various barrel lengths, ranging from 4 5/8 inches to 10 1/2 inches. The weight of the gun can also vary depending on the barrel length, with the shorter barrel options being lighter and more compact.
- Grip Options: The revolver comes with a standard black checkered grip, but there are also options for custom grips, such as wood or ivory, to personalize the look and feel of the gun.
- Sights: The Super Blackhawk .44 Mag comes with fixed sights, including a ramp front sight and an adjustable rear sight for better accuracy.
- Trigger Pull: The trigger pull is around 4 pounds, making it smooth and easy to control.
When it comes to performance, the Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Mag does not disappoint. It is known for its accuracy, with minimal recoil, thanks to its larger grip and weight. The powerful .44 Magnum cartridge also makes it a popular choice for hunting big game.
Some pros of the Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Mag include its durable construction, versatility in barrel length options, and excellent performance. However, some cons to consider are its larger size and weight, which may not be suitable for everyone.
In comparison to other .44 Mag revolvers, the Ruger Super Blackhawk stands out for its affordability and reliability. Some other popular .44 Mag revolvers include the Smith & Wesson Model 29 and the Taurus Raging Bull. While these revolvers may have their own unique features, they are typically more expensive than the Ruger Super Blackhawk.
In conclusion, the Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Mag is a reliable and powerful single-action revolver that offers excellent performance at an affordable price. Its versatility and durability make it a great choice for both hunting and target shooting.
- The Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Mag offers a variety of features, such as barrel length and weight options, grip choices, and sight selections, to cater to individual preferences and needs.
- With its exceptional accuracy, manageable recoil, and reliable performance, the Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Mag is a top choice for hunting, target shooting, and personal defense.
- Compared to other .44 Mag revolvers on the market, such as the Smith & Wesson Model 29 and Taurus Raging Bull, the Ruger Super Blackhawk stands out for its combination of quality, versatility, and value.
Features of the Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Mag
The Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Mag is a powerful and reliable handgun that has been a favorite among gun enthusiasts for decades. In this section, we will take a closer look at the features that make this firearm stand out from the rest. From its barrel length and weight to its grip options and sights, we will discuss each aspect that contributes to the overall performance of the Super Blackhawk. Additionally, we will examine the trigger pull, an important factor in accuracy and control while shooting.
1. Barrel Length and Weight
The barrel length and weight are important factors to consider when choosing a firearm, especially for the Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Mag.
- Barrel Length: The Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Mag offers a range of barrel lengths, from 4.62 inches to 10.5 inches. The longer the barrel, the higher the muzzle velocity and potential for accuracy.
- Weight: Depending on the barrel length and configuration, the Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Mag can weigh anywhere from 44 ounces to over 52 ounces. Opting for a heavier gun can help reduce recoil and provide better stability during shooting.
2. Grip Options
The Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Mag offers a variety of grip options to suit individual preferences and shooting styles.
- Hogue Rubber Grips: Provides a comfortable and secure grip, reducing felt recoil.
- Rosewood Grips: Enhances the aesthetics of the firearm, offering a classic and elegant look.
- Simulated Ivory Grips: Adds a touch of sophistication and elegance, mimicking the appearance of real ivory.
Pro-tip: Experiment with different grip options to find the one that provides the best comfort, control, and accuracy for your shooting needs.
When it comes to the sights of the Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Mag, there are a few key features to consider:
- Adjustable sights: The Super Blackhawk comes with adjustable rear sights, allowing you to fine-tune your aim for maximum accuracy.
- Easy sight picture: The sights are designed to provide a clear and easy-to-see picture, making it easier to acquire your target quickly.
- Durable construction: The sights are built to withstand the rigors of heavy use, ensuring they will hold zero and maintain their accuracy over time.
Pro-tip: Consider adding a fiber optic front sight to your Super Blackhawk for improved visibility in different lighting conditions. This can help enhance your shooting experience and increase your overall accuracy.
4. Trigger Pull
The trigger pull of the Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Mag is a crucial aspect to take into account when evaluating this revolver. Here are some steps to better understand and assess the trigger pull:
- Comprehend the concept: Trigger pull refers to the amount of force required to pull the trigger and discharge the firearm.
- Measure the weight: Use a trigger pull gauge to determine the weight of the trigger pull. On average, the Super Blackhawk .44 Mag has a weight of 4-6 pounds.
- Evaluate the smoothness: Pay attention to the smoothness of the trigger pull. A smooth trigger pull ensures better control and accuracy.
- Consider customization: If the trigger pull does not meet your preference, there are aftermarket options available to customize it.
Pro-tip: A lighter and smoother trigger pull can greatly improve shooting comfort and precision.
Performance of the Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Mag
The Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Magnum is a powerhouse of a revolver, known for its rugged design and impressive performance. In this section, we will take a closer look at the performance of this iconic firearm, examining its accuracy, recoil, and reliability. Whether you are a seasoned shooter or a new enthusiast, understanding the capabilities of the Super Blackhawk will give you a better appreciation for its place in the firearms world. So let’s dive into the details and see how this revolver stacks up in terms of performance.
When assessing the precision of the Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Mag, there are multiple elements to consider:
- Barrel Length: Longer barrels typically result in better accuracy due to an increased sight radius and reduced muzzle rise.
- Sights: High-quality sights, including adjustable rear sights, can assist in precise aiming and target acquisition.
- Ammunition: Selecting the appropriate type and quality of ammunition can significantly impact accuracy.
- Shooting Technique: Proper grip, stance, and trigger control are essential for consistent accuracy.
By taking these factors into consideration, shooters can achieve impressive accuracy with the Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Mag.
The recoil of the Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Mag is a crucial aspect to consider when selecting this revolver. The .44 Magnum cartridge produces significant recoil due to its powerful performance. However, the weight of the Super Blackhawk, coupled with the revolver’s grip options such as the traditional western-style grip or the Bisley grip, can help to mitigate recoil and provide better control.
It is recommended to practice proper shooting techniques, including a firm grip and proper stance, to effectively manage and minimize recoil when using the Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Mag.
Pro-tip: To further reduce recoil, consider using lighter loads or alternative bullet types specifically designed for reduced recoil.
Reliability is an important factor to consider when looking at the Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Mag. Here are some steps to assess its reliability:
- Research customer reviews and experiences to get a sense of the overall reliability of the firearm.
- Inspect the build quality, looking for any indications of poor craftsmanship or potential issues.
- Check the track record of Ruger as a reputable manufacturer known for producing reliable firearms.
- Consider the feedback from professional shooters and experts in the field regarding the reliability of the Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Mag.
Pros and Cons of the Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Mag
The Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Mag is a powerful and popular revolver among gun enthusiasts. However, like any firearm, it has its own set of strengths and weaknesses. In this section, we will take a closer look at the pros and cons of the Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Mag. By understanding both the advantages and limitations of this revolver, readers can make an informed decision about whether it is the right choice for their needs.
- Powerful: The Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Mag boasts impressive stopping power, making it a versatile choice for both hunting and self-defense.
- Durable: Constructed with a solid steel frame and designed to withstand the high pressures of the .44 Magnum cartridge, the Super Blackhawk is a rugged and reliable firearm.
- Accurate: Thanks to its long barrel length and adjustable sights, this revolver offers exceptional accuracy and allows for precise shot placement.
- Versatile: With various grip options available, the Super Blackhawk can be customized to fit the shooter’s hand size and preference, providing enhanced comfort and control.
- Heritage: The Super Blackhawk carries on the legacy of Ruger’s renowned Single-Action Revolver line, known for their exceptional craftsmanship and performance.
Some potential drawbacks of the Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Mag include its weight and size, which may make it less suitable for individuals with smaller hands or those who prefer lighter firearms. Additionally, the strong recoil of this revolver can be challenging for some shooters to control. Another disadvantage is that the Super Blackhawk does not offer as many grip options as other models. However, it’s important to keep in mind that these cons may not be significant for all individuals and should be considered alongside the gun’s overall performance and features.
Comparison to Other .44 Mag Revolvers
In the world of .44 Magnum revolvers, the Ruger Super Blackhawk stands out as a reliable and powerful choice. However, it’s not the only option on the market. In this section, we will compare the Super Blackhawk to two other popular .44 Mag revolvers: the Smith & Wesson Model 29 and the Taurus Raging Bull. Each of these guns has its own unique features and strengths, and by examining them side by side, we can gain a better understanding of what sets the Super Blackhawk apart.
1. Smith & Wesson Model 29
The renowned .44 Magnum Smith & Wesson Model 29 revolver is well-known for its power and iconic appearance. If you are interested in exploring this classic firearm, here is a list of steps to consider:
- Research: Familiarize yourself with the history and specifications of the Smith & Wesson Model 29.
- Availability: Check with local gun dealers or online sources for availability and pricing.
- Features: Understand the features of the Model 29, such as its barrel length, grip options, and sights.
- Performance: Read reviews and gather information about the accuracy, recoil, and reliability of the Model 29.
- Comparison: Compare the Model 29 to other .44 Magnum revolvers, such as the Ruger Super Blackhawk or Taurus Raging Bull, to determine the best fit for your needs.
- Decision: Based on your research and preferences, decide if the Smith & Wesson Model 29 is the right revolver for you.
The Smith & Wesson Model 29 gained widespread recognition through its association with the iconic character Detective Harry Callahan in the “Dirty Harry” film series. This revolver’s popularity skyrocketed after the release of the first film in 1971, solidifying its status as one of the most desirable handguns in the world.
2. Taurus Raging Bull
The Taurus Raging Bull is a popular .44 Mag revolver known for its robust construction and impressive performance. With a longer barrel and heavier weight compared to the Ruger Super Blackhawk, the Taurus Raging Bull offers increased accuracy and reduced recoil. The revolver features a comfortable grip and adjustable sights for enhanced precision. However, some users find the trigger pull to be heavy.
When compared to the Smith & Wesson Model 29, the Taurus Raging Bull is a more affordable option, making it a great choice for budget-conscious .44 Mag enthusiasts. Additionally, for improved handling and comfort, consider using a shooting glove or aftermarket grips with the Taurus Raging Bull.
Overall, this revolver is a reliable and powerful choice for those looking for a quality firearm.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use the Ruger Super Blackhawk for personal defense?
Yes, the Ruger Super Blackhawk is a powerful .44 Magnum big bore revolver that is suitable for personal defense. It is known for its durability and reliability, making it a popular choice for those looking for a dependable handgun.
What is the price of the Ruger Super Blackhawk?
The MSRP for the Ruger Super Blackhawk is $829, but it can often be purchased for a more reasonable price of $740. This makes it an affordable option for those in the market for a high-quality revolver.
What are the differences between the older and current versions of the Ruger Super Blackhawk?
The older version, such as the 1976 Bicentennial Model, may have slight production differences compared to the current version. However, both versions have a strong design and are known for their durability and accuracy.
Can I use factory ammo in the Ruger Super Blackhawk?
While factory ammo for the Ruger Super Blackhawk may be difficult to find, testers have had success in concocting their own loads using brass, Winchester large pistol primers, VihtaVuori N110 or Alliant 2400 powder, and recipes from the Lyman 50th Edition Reloading Handbook.
Is the Ruger Super Blackhawk suitable for hunting?
Yes, the Ruger Super Blackhawk is a popular choice for hunting due to its powerful .44 Magnum caliber and accuracy. It is also available in other variations such as the Bisley Hunter Model, making it a versatile option for different hunting needs.
Is the Ruger Super Blackhawk a good choice for those with bigger hands?
Yes, the Ruger Super Blackhawk has a good balance and comfortable traditional cowboy grips that make it suitable for those with bigger hands. The oversized grip panels also add to its comfortable and secure grip.